That Deagostini Spitfire
Thomas
2005-02-27 15:36:54 UTC
I was in my local model shop on Friday to buy some glass cloth and resin,
and I saw a guy asking about the Spitfire Partwork... he was obviously a
beginner but one of the guys behind the counter was still trying to sell him
a kit and radio and motor. I really felt like butting in and telling the
customer it will end in tears but I didn't.
Still, I think it is iresponsible for a shop to sell this kind of gear to a
beginner and he will probably be put off the hobby for life.
I would find a new model shop, but this one is so convenient for me. The
only other decent shop is 50 miles away.
Stephen Chalmers
2005-02-27 18:07:14 UTC
Post by Thomas
I was in my local model shop on Friday to buy some glass cloth and resin,
and I saw a guy asking about the Spitfire Partwork... he was obviously a
beginner but one of the guys behind the counter was still trying to sell him
a kit and radio and motor. I really felt like butting in and telling the
customer it will end in tears but I didn't.
Still, I think it is iresponsible for a shop to sell this kind of gear to a
beginner and he will probably be put off the hobby for life.
I would find a new model shop, but this one is so convenient for me. The
only other decent shop is 50 miles away.
As the customer was asking about the magazine 'project', it would be natural
for the assistant to infer that the customer were committed to building such
a model, in which case selling him the equipment would be the lesser of two
evils.
The conscientious shopkeeper is faced with the choice of selling the
beginner what he wants, or appearing to be condescending by recommending a
training model.

What type of kit was he trying to sell?

S.C.
Geoff Sanders
2005-02-27 19:43:11 UTC
Might you not have invited him to your club flying site, exposed him to the
realities of learning to build and fly competently before attempting the
Spitfire, thereby creating a "win-win" situation? The Spit could remain on the
shelf whilst using the radio and other accessories the shop sold him on a couple
of trainers. The model shop would make MORE money, and you'd have another happy
club member!

Geoff Sanders
Technical
2005-02-27 20:20:09 UTC
I've been to a couple of Model Shops over here and I have to say, they
have a tendency to be very patronising. Once particular shop I refuse
to go back too due to the way I was treated when I explained that I
was a beginner and looking for guidance. I don't exactly know what
happened but as I was talking to him, he walked away and served
someone else. Mind you, when I reeated this story to my colleagues at
the flying site, they laughed and said that it was nothing personal,
He does that with everyone. How he does busines is beyond me.

All my purchases (except Fuels) are done in England (Who beat England
today?) as they give a better class of service than my own kinfolk in
N. Ireland and go out of their way to explain things very well.

Declan

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:43:11 -0800, Geoff Sanders
Post by Geoff Sanders
Might you not have invited him to your club flying site, exposed him to the
realities of learning to build and fly competently before attempting the
Spitfire, thereby creating a "win-win" situation? The Spit could remain on the
shelf whilst using the radio and other accessories the shop sold him on a couple
of trainers. The model shop would make MORE money, and you'd have another happy
club member!
Geoff Sanders
Regards

Declan Barry
"KGB" (KGB)
2005-02-28 10:00:44 UTC
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:20:09 +0000, Technical
Post by Technical
I've been to a couple of Model Shops over here and I have to say, they
have a tendency to be very patronising.
Hi

Where I live we used to have an extremely good, extremely well run
model shop with an extremely helpful owner, which had been in business
for nearly 40 years (I was one of his first customers - I was very
young at the time!!!). He was very good with beginners and helped me
a lot in my early days; but he was equally helpful with experienced
modellers, being happy to let you make your own decisions but also
ready to offer "impartial" informed advice about products if asked.
He wasn't above talking customers out of buying a particular item in
favour of something better but cheaper - equally however, he wasn't
above saying "Cor, look what has just arrived" and placing the latest
expensive super-dooper model or fancy engine on the counter, stepping
back and saying nothing, just watching me drool before producing a
credit card!!!!!

Unfortunately he was eventually forced to retire on health grounds and
sold the (thriving) business.

The new owner was so diabolically patronising, despite my explaining
my long "history" with the previous owner that I only ever went there
twice. Most long-time modellers in the area had a similar experience
with him.

The shop HAD been thriving for nearly 40 years - the new owner was
forced to close down within 2 years, caused mainly by alienating his
hard core of regular customers with his arrogant, patronising attitude
(he had the infernal cheek to write to our local paper, blaming local
modellers for lack of support).

Regards

KGB
Gavin
2005-02-28 20:08:48 UTC
Post by Technical
I've been to a couple of Model Shops over here and I have to say, they
have a tendency to be very patronising. Once particular shop I refuse
to go back too due to the way I was treated when I explained that I
was a beginner and looking for guidance.
For my LHS If you went in and said you wanted a spitfire and were a
learner they would would try and steer you to a trainer, explaining
the reasons for a trainer over a spit. If you insisted they'd warn
you it would be hard but still sell you one, If they didn't there are
plenty of other places who will in the area without asking the
questions, and at the end of the day they tried but failed to persuade
you but if they downright refused a sale another store would get it in
the area.
Paul McIntosh
2005-02-28 22:29:23 UTC
There is a shop I frequented that had a flight sim on the counter. When
someone came in and wanted to buy something not appropriate to their skill
level, the owner would fire up the sim and let them have a go (or several
dozen goes!). This usually convinced them.
--
Paul McIntosh
http://www.rc-bearings.com
the area.
The Natural Philosopher
Excellent idea actually.
Gavin
2005-03-01 20:54:55 UTC
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:29:23 -0000, "Paul McIntosh"
Post by Paul McIntosh
There is a shop I frequented that had a flight sim on the counter. When
someone came in and wanted to buy something not appropriate to their skill
level, the owner would fire up the sim and let them have a go (or several
dozen goes!). This usually convinced them.
Great Idea, but as I said they try and persuade learners otherwise but
know there are at least 2 other shops in the area who won't try
they'll jsut sell the model, and at the end of the day a sale is a
sale. If jonny wants a spit he'll buy one and then crash it
regardless of the advice he gets.
Mike
2005-03-02 19:43:55 UTC
Post by Technical
Once particular shop I refuse
to go back too due to the way I was treated ...
...but as I was talking to him, he walked away and served
someone else.
Sounds familiar. That could be my "local" shop. It made me realise how
much better the service is from mail order companies. I don't shop there
now ... it's obviously company policy to treat customers badly.

With mail order, you don't get lied to about whether items are in stock,
thereby making wasted journeys.

You don't get quoted a price over the phone, and then overcharged when you
turn up in person. For goods which appear to be used, but sold as new.

You don't get items put on one side for you to collect, which get sold
to someone else.

You don't get unhelpful staff that shrug their shoulders and couldn't give
a toss as long as you buy something off the shelf.

You don't get glared at like some kind of shoplifter while browsing.

It's a shame when small local shops go out of business, but then again, some
of them deserve to. "Customer service? Sorry, no customers to service today
mate. We've driven them away."
Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Greg Middleton
2005-02-28 00:10:41 UTC
Post by Thomas
Still, I think it is iresponsible for a shop to sell this kind of gear to a
beginner and he will probably be put off the hobby for life.
It's business, he has to make a living, no car dealer is going to refuse to
sell a sports car to a 17 year old if he has the dosh, nor tell him he'd be
better off with a Fiesta !. Why do you think the magazine chose a Spit ...
because that's what people want to own.

Greg
Mark Stevens
2005-02-28 04:00:23 UTC
Post by Thomas
I was in my local model shop on Friday to buy some glass cloth and resin,
and I saw a guy asking about the Spitfire Partwork... he was obviously a
beginner but one of the guys behind the counter was still trying to sell him
a kit and radio and motor. I really felt like butting in and telling the
customer it will end in tears but I didn't.
Still, I think it is iresponsible for a shop to sell this kind of gear to a
beginner and he will probably be put off the hobby for life.
I would find a new model shop, but this one is so convenient for me. The
only other decent shop is 50 miles away.
Have a look at the post on www.scale-models.co.uk ...this subject also being
discussed there
--
Regards........Mark